Glossary of Iliad-related terms
Brief definitions of some jargon words used in the Iliad forums and/or these
- Delta ASIC
- The Delta ASIC is a custom electronic
paper display controller developed by iRex, which manages 16 shades of grey
rather than just 4 as the competition.
- A small SSH server (and client) implementation suitable for embedded systems.
Contained in the "Unbrickable" SSH server package for the Iliad.
- Write data to non-volatile flash memory, especially firmware
- iRex Delivery Service — the iRex upgrade service and content shop, also
used to enable shell access
- Initial ramdisk which contains a partial or minimal system installation that
allows the Linux kernel to load file system drivers as modules which can then
access the root partition of the system installation. In the case of the
Iliad, the initrd loads proprietary drivers for the built-in flash memory
(tffs module) and Delta ASIC (delta module).
- The Itsy Package Management System,
the package manger (installer/uninstaller) the Iliad uses.
- Shellcode hack
- Modification of /home/root/start.sh
- Nickname of the SSH (Secure SHell) server package for the Iliad
- A sequence of voltages for updating the electronic paper display (see
- XML path
- For brevity, I describe the location of data in XML files by their "XML path".
For example, the path /foo/bar would refer to a <bar> ... </bar> tag
within a <foo> ... </foo> tag which is at the top level of the file. Such
paths are the simplest part of the
TOS / Impressum